I don’t even know where to start! A million sights, a million sounds and a million experiences, some new and some happily relived.


I arrived on time and my whole body knew I was in Africa. My hair frizzed instantly, my skinned glowed and the humidity hit me smack in the face. Customs was a breeze. One marriage proposal and a nod of the head and my giant boxes of medical supplies were welcomed into Ghana.  A smiling driver packed my things into the back of the pick-up and in true Africa time fashion, I had to be fed before we could set off to Abor. The Reverend Sister told me all about how the hospital was undergoing many changes and that I would have my work cut out for me. That is what I like to hear, that I would be put to work! But the most pressing issue at hand? When is your my brother Alex  coming!


The drive to Abor was long… Not just because we stopped many times, for reasons I didn’t understand (mostly just to yell at people it seemed) or because of the thick Accra traffic, but because I was soooo excited to be there.  I arrived late at night so the hospital was quiet. Well as quiet as it ever would be. The sister sent me off to bed, or so she thought, but I quickly went exploring!  The maternity ward was exactly the same, complete with moaning woman awaiting a C-section, to which I was happily invited. My decline was met with a smile and a promise of many more babies to come.  But the most exciting part of the evening? Malik finally showing up and opening the boxes of medical supplies. We sat on the floor of the pharmacy like children at Christmas tearing through the packages. I would ask what everything was for and he would exclaim how many lives each package would save. He assured me that everything would be used and that he was grateful for every last pill. I can’t even describe how good that felt. It was the most amazing feeling in the world knowing that all my worrying and hustling had the perfect outcome.  I am still in shock about how much was packed into the boxes, every last inch was full of some magic pill. The funniest thing was, it was Lamisil, yes for athlete’s food that made Malik the happiest. Apparently, food disease is a chronic problem for which they do not have a treatment….go figure.


The next day I ran around the hospital saying hi to everyone, it was so nice to hear them screech when I walked in the room. I knew this visit would be different. I wasn’t a guest anymore, I had come back to do work and as lame as it sounds, I had come back to real friends.


The coolest thing about coming back to the same village is seeing how the kids have grown. Walking down the street, I recognize little ones who were here last year, some who are now walking. The little girl Sena, at the roadside market, is still terrified of me, but she is slowly getting better. Derek, the teacher’s son, is a big guy now and although he wasn’t feeling great yesterday showed me his new baby brother. His mom was heavily pregnant when I left last time so I was happy to see her new little boy. Millicent, has grown like crazy, looks like I will have to find a new dress fitting model for Mia!


As for the project…looks like everyone wants a library!!! I didn’t even ask, I mentioned I was working on it and one of the teacher’s said “the building a white man started”. You’re quite the legend in Abor Augie! They have told me all about your drumming and how much you loved Abor! The estimate for the roof is being done this week and the headmistress of the Primary has promised me the help of her students (uhh..child labour??) It is going well in that regard, everyone is very excited about it and think it can be completed by August, although we will see about that. It is just really nice to know that people know about it and the project is not as dusty as I believed it would be.  So Abor should have a community children’s library by September. We have to contact the organizations about the books and the headmistress talked about charging a token membership for maintenance.


In general, I am sleeping well, t